|Ilbert de Lacy was one of William the Conqueror's Barons, who commenced
to build Pontefract Castle and which was completed in 1080. All the land within
the vicinity was under his jurisdiction and the Domesday Book gives details
of the number of ploughs, cottars, villanes, bordars, churches, priests, fisheries,
mills, carucates of lands. We learn that in this vicinity Ilbert allowed Hamelin
to have ploughs, villanes, meadows and a mill that had previously belonged
to one Suuan. Henry de Lacy allowed two mills to Castleford in 1140.