|Although the Aire and Calder Navigation Company commenced trading in 1698
it was not until 1826 that the canal joining the two was completed. Originally
the local office was in Allerton Bywater but in the 1840's it was moved to
the Castleford Lock entrance. At that time William Pycock was the manager
and agent. In 1861 William Hammond Bartholomew designed the 'Tom Puddings'
specifically for carrying coal. The design was patented in 1862 and could
still be seen in use 100 years later. In 1884 the Castleford and Bulholme
locks were lengthened and widened.