Home Page   |   Contact The Webmaster  
1750 - The Potters
Pottery making has been in Castleford since the mid 18th. Century when common brown and stone ware were produced followed by Queen's ware and black basalt ware. Mention is even made before this date.

1750 - David Dunderdale

David Dunderdale's name is of high significance in the world of ceramics. He had his pottery in Whitwood Mere, Castleford and made the exquisite Dunderdale teapots with the famous sliding lids. These were exported especially to Spain and Portugal, and in the year 1792 two of Dunderdale's ships were chased by the French Privateers when they were returning from Spain, but reached the Humber safely and thence to Goole and Castleford. Great celebrations were made on their safe return, with bonfires and street dancing and so on.

1825 - Clokie and Masterman

Later to become Clokie and Company these potteries were established on the site of the Dunderdale Pottery. The works were listed as Castleford Pottery, Albion Pottery and the Britannia Flint Mills. They specialised in plain white-ware and blue-band ware as well as producing Art Seco style pieces. The company was the last Castleford pottery to close in 1961.

1881 - Robinsons

Thomas Robinson owned the Allerton Pottery between 1881 and 1887 but by 1898 it was in the hands of his executors. The Robinson Brothers owned Eleven Acres Pottery on Nicholson Street, Half Acres, in 1893. Called John Robinson and Sons in 1908 and known as Castleford Potteries by 1917 the firm produced black and common earthenware.
 Return To The History Menu