Home Page   |   Contact The Webmaster  
1086 - Glasshoughton
The earliest reference of Glasshoughton is recorded in the Domesday Book survey of 1086 under the name 'Hoctun'. There it was referred to as being formally owned by a Saxon thane named Lewin who had 6 carucates of land, employing 4 ploughs and contributing 100 shillings to the royal revenue. At this time it was considered to be more important than Castleford.
The name of 'Hocton' derives from the word 'hough' or 'houe' which is Celtic for burying place on a hill. A good indication of this is the Roman coffins that were found in the nearby Holywell Wood. The word 'ton' is of Saxon origin indicating a collection of homesteads.
These words form the name 'Houghton'. However, in the late 1700's to distinguish it from the other Houghtons in Yorkshire the word 'Glass' was added after a small glass works that formally existed in the village.
Although it covered an area of 15000 acres by 1822 its recorded population was only 412.
[Thanks to Dave Wilders]
 Return To The History Menu