Home Page   |   Contact The Webmaster  
 
1808 - Castleford Bridge
The town's oldest remaining structure is Castleford Bridge, sometimes known as 'Hartley's Bridge' after its builder. It was designed by Bernard Hartley surveyor of bridges for the West Riding, and built in 1808 by his son Jesse. The elegant stone three-arched bridge replaced a seven-arched wooden structure that had been in use for many centuries and was in serious danger of collapsing.
The Bridge Foot Lamp, a lamp in the middle of the road juction of Bridge Street and Aire Street, was know to be a public meeting place in 1832 when meetings were held there to discuss the Reform of the Franchise. It was demolished as part of a road scheme in 1964.
Castleford Bridge
Line

2008 - The New Pedestrian Bridge

In 2003 when Channel 4's 'Grand Designs' T.V. program arrived to improve Castleford a new bridge across the Aire was one of the first and most ambitious of eleven interventions planned.
It is part of a wider waterfront regeneration masterplan.
The £4.8 million bridge was funded by Wakefield Council, Yorkshire Forward and English Partnerships.
It was designed by McDowell+Bendetti with Alan Baxter Associates and Arup and constructed by Costain.
The pedestrian crossing of 'Hartley's Bridge' had become almost suicidal and this creates a safer and more pleasant pedestrian route.
It was finally opened on Friday 4th. July 2008 when local children linked arms to create a human chain linking Aire Street to Mill Lane and marks the completion of 'The Castleford Project'.
Pedestrian Bridge
Photograph From: Siandara
Line

2008 - Tickle Cock Bridge

Tickle Cock Bridge is another intervention in the 'The Castleford Project'.
The 1890s railway underpass was a well-used pedestrian gateway connecting one of the main car parks to the town centre.
It had been ignored for decades and its poor quality made an uninspiring entrance into the declining town centre.
Old Tickle Cock Bridge
The Old Tickle Cock Bridge
Photograph Copyright: Martine Hamilton Knight
DSDHA’s Deborah Saunt and Sam Potter initiated radical improvements to the derelict underpass and in collaboration with the innovative artist Martin Richman came up with a well lit flock lined concrete structure.
Together they created a well designed public space where people could meet and no longer have to huddle up close to one another as they filed through the darkness. It also gave a more welcome feel when entering the town.
New Tickle Cock Bridge
The New Tickle Cock Bridge
Photograph Copyright: Martine Hamilton Knight
When Wakefield Council erected a plaque celebrating the improvements someone had decided that it was more correct to name it "Tittle Cott" Bridge.
Castleford folk are not against change when they feel it necessary but will not be messed around when it comes to doing things in the name of 'political correctness'.
So after a large public outcry and even citizens meetings it was agreed that a new plaque be erected with the correct name of "Tickle Cock Bridge".
Line
 Return To The History Menu