Home Page   |   Contact The Webmaster  
1906 - Here Come The Trams
The Castleford tram system, which operated from what is now the Wheldale Road bus depot, was formally opened on the 25th of October 1906. It actually started its public service on the 29th of October 1906. The service, which ran from Pontefract Marketplace to Normanton Marketplace via Castleford, operated from 5 a.m. until midnight with a tram every eight minutes. The whole journey cost six pence with halfpence fare stages. The service proved to be very popular and in its first year of operation it carried 2.2 million passengers.
By the early 1920's it was beginning to suffer from the competition of a number of small bus companies led by B&S of Featherstone.
The last tram left Pontefract at 11 p.m. on the 1st of November 1925 ending its very short reign.
 Return To The History Menu